Moldavian Safer Internet Day Committee
About our SID activities
The Safer Internet Day (SID) 2022 campaign in Moldova aims to build and raise awareness at the family level, among parents and caregivers, about the problem of online child sexual abuse and the need to talk with children about its risks and preventing measures. The key message of this campaign is "Online child sexual abuse happens more often than you think. Talk with your child about its dangers”. The main target groups are parents, school professionals, and legal professionals.
La Strada is going to launch an awareness-video material for parents presenting the perpetrator's perspective on online child sexual abuse, to encourage parents to seek information on the topic and counselling, to listen to and discuss with their children in a friendly way, and to provide support blame and shame-free when children were made victims of online sexual abuse. The video shows the modus operandi of the perpetrator and reinforces the idea that every child may become a victim, regardless of age, environment, gender, or social status. The video will be widely promoted online and on the national TV channel, to reach a high audience and visibility of the topic.
Moreover, La Strada prepared for parents a series of tutorials with age-appropriate tips to help them open and maintain a dialogue with their children on how to avoid internet dangers and uncomfortable situations online. In addition, six seminars for parents are planned, focusing on the risk of online child sexual abuse.
A national contest to encourage teachers to involve parents and children in online safety activities is going to be organised in partnership with the Ministry of Education, Culture, and Research.
A roundtable for legal professionals on effective countering of COSESA (child online sexual exploitation and sexual abuse) cases needed policy improvements, and improved enforcement of existing laws is going to take place to share the key findings of the National Research of the Modus Operandi of Perpetrators.
What we are doing to support the SID 2022 slogan of "Together for a better internet"…
- Organises national awareness campaigns to mark Safer Internet Day.
- Developed, launched and expanded a national educational portal about safety online www.siguronline.md, representing a resource platform for children, their parents and educators.
- Operates an online helpline that aims to provide counselling in all cases related to child safety online issues and a safe reporting mechanism available on www.siguronline.md for online child sexual abuse cases.
- Developed and launched a specialised programme for teachers and schools designed to increase the quality and effectiveness of a whole-school community approach to online safety.
- Delivers awareness-raising activities for parents to empower them to efficiently prevent and intervene in cases of online child abuse.
- Provides legal representation and psychological support during criminal proceedings to children who suffered from online sexual exploitation or sexual abuse.
- Advocates for the promotion of online safety of children and adolescents in national policies, being the lead NGO involved in the development of the first National Action Plan in the area.
- Conducts national research concerning the interests, practices and specific risks that children face online.