Moldavian Safer Internet Day Committee
About our SID activities
Safer Internet Day (SID) is an annual online safety awareness campaign that aims to engage several key players in the public and private sectors to promote the safe and responsible use of online and mobile technologies. Safer Internet Day has become a landmark event in the global online safety calendar.
For several years, La Strada has been carrying out activities to raise awareness and educate safe behaviors in the online environment, so that every child can enjoy a positive online experience and be able to face the risks that may arise, and the SigurOnline team from the International Center La Strada regularly organizes initiatives aimed at promoting the safety of children and adolescents on the Internet.
The Safer Internet Day (SID) 2023 campaign is to build and raise awareness at the general public level about the problem of online child sexual abuse and brings to the public’s attention the way in which all users can contribute to the creation of a safe online environment for children by informing them about the need of reporting illegal content on the Internet, particularly child sexual abuse materials (CSAM), and encouraging them to report it. It also aims to sensitize the community of professionals in the ICT industry about the mechanism to report sexual abuse of children and encourage their support in removing it from the online environment. The main target groups are the general public and the media; and ICT industry professionals and partners.
La Strada is going to develop and promote a video material, with an emphasis on the awareness of the importance, by the parties involved and public, of the problem of online child sexual abuse and the salutary union of the efforts of all actors involved. The video will be widely promoted online to reach a high audience and visibility of the topic.
Moreover, La Strada shall organize an event aimed at strengthening the good understanding of the spread of the phenomenon of online child sexual abuse, increase the level of information and awareness of the general public on this topic and bringing to the public's attention how all users can contribute to creating a safe online environment for children.
What we are doing to support the SID 2023 slogan of "Together for a better internet"…
What we are doing to mark the 20th anniversary of Safer Internet Day…
The key message of the 20th edition of the SID campaign is "Reporting is the right thing to do. Together we can make a difference.’’
La Strada Moldova exists and operates to ensure respect of the rights and legal interests of children to stay free from violence at all levels – individual, legislative, and executive. We do so by applying a comprehensive change model to our work, through information and education, providing direct support and assistance to children who suffered from online sexual exploitation or sexual abuse, strengthening communities, and developing policies.
Our tools and services
In recent years, La Strada Moldova has brought more visibility to the issue of child safety online at national level and put it higher on the public agenda by delivering a wide range of activities:
- Organizes national awareness campaigns to mark Safer Internet Day.
- Developed, launched and expanded a national educational portal about safety online - representing a resource platform for children, their parents and educators.
- Operates an online helpline that aims to provide counselling in all cases related to child safety online issues and a safe reporting mechanism available on www.siguronline.md for online child sexual abuse cases.
- Developed and launched a specialized programme for teachers and schools designed to increase the quality and effectiveness of a whole-school community approach to online safety.
- Delivers awareness-raising activities for parents to empower them to efficiently prevent and intervene in cases of online child abuse.
- Provides legal representation and psychological support during criminal proceedings to children who suffered from online sexual exploitation or sexual abuse.
- Advocates for the promotion of online safety of children and adolescents in national policies, being the lead NGO involved in the development of the first National Action Plan in the area.
- Conducts national research concerning the interests, practices and specific risks that children face online.