Latvian Safer Internet Centre
Last updated: 2020-12-08
About our SID activities
For Safer Internet Day (SID) 2021, the Latvian Safer Internet Centre (SIC) will focus on online activities:
- A SID safety kit for schools will be developed with online materials and tools that teachers can give to children in February to celebrate SID during remote schooling.
- A nationwide quiz will be organised with the most popular quiz organisers in Latvia, www.viktorina.lv. Participation in the quiz will be organised in two parts: the first part will be a live quiz for different age groups on SID, 9 February 2021; the second part will provide an opportunity for everyone to take part in an online quiz about internet safety throughout the month of February.
- Information on internet safety topics will be disseminated to the media.
What we are doing to support the SID 2021 slogan of "Together for a better internet"…
We encourage not only youngsters but also adults to think about their safety online. Pedagogues are invited to use the SIC's resources to raise awareness in schools about safe and responsible use of technologies. Society will be informed about the ways each of us can make the internet a better place.
The work of the Latvian Safer Internet Centre (SIC) is coordinated by the Latvian Internet Association. The SIC has three main tasks:
- Informing and educating children, adolescents, teachers and parents on the safety of internet content, for example the potential threats on the internet, and how to use internet in a more responsible and wise manner.
- Ensuring a reporting facility about illegal online content and breaches online (any report can be anonymous). The reports are processed and, if appropriate, sent for examination to the State Police or the INHOPE Association.
- Ensuring a helpline, 116111, of the State Inspectorate for Protection of Children's Rights, a possibility for everyone, but especially children and youngsters, to turn for help on any issue, including internet matters.