Papua New Guinea Safer Internet Day Committee - National Information and Communications Technology Authority
Last updated: 2023-02-05
About our SID activities
Briefly, a few highlights during February by the Papua New Guinea (PNG) Safer Internet Committee (PNGSIC) to help raise the visibility of the campaign theme and key issues include:
- Formal launch via press conference of PNG’s national SID 2023 campaign on Tuesday 7 February by Minister ICT, Secretary DICT, CEO NICTA and the PNGSIC.
- SID 2023 Press Release by Minister ICT and CEO NICTA on Tuesday 7 February in dailies Post Courier and The National.
- PNGSIC to release the publication of the new look “Parents guide on how to help children be safe online” on the occasion of Safer Internet Day 2023 on Tuesday 7 February.
- Dedicated social media campaign highlighting key messages and commemorative activities by the PNG Safer Internet Committee on Facebook.
- Community radio awareness via NBC 90.7, FM100, Nau FM, Legend FM.
- Short videos of key messages targeted at Parents of children to be shared on Facebook.
- School ambassador programme for online safety piloted at selected high and secondary schools during February.
- Various commemorative initiatives by PNGSIC supporters as per the indicative PNGSIC campaign action plan.
What we are doing to support the SID 2023 slogan of "Together for a better internet"…
To ensure the safety of citizens including children while using the internet, various measures by the NICTA-facilitated PNG Safer Internet Committee have been implemented, such as supporting public awareness campaigns to educate citizens about online risks and how to stay safe, providing resources and support for individuals and families to protect themselves from online harm, and partnering with stakeholders to address online safety issues. It is essential that we increase our efforts to create a digital agenda that empowers and keeps safe our children.
What we are doing to mark the 20th anniversary of Safer Internet Day…
This key milestone will be observed on 7 February during the official launching of the Safer Internet Day 2023 campaign by the Honourable Timothy Masiu, MP Minister for Information and Communications Technology.
The National ICT Authority (NICTA) facilitates the annual Safer Internet Day (SID) campaign in collaboration with the Papua New Guinea (PNG) Safer Internet Committee (PNGSIC). PNG’s national SID campaign will run from 1-28 February 2023.